Monday, September 7, 2009
My Introduction to Metals
This month's installation of EtsyMetal's Blog Carnival is: My First Metalsmithed Piece. My first introduction to metals was actually not a piece of jewelry. I was in my second year of a sculpture class and decided to try my hand at metal. Being a horse lover, I was inspired by Deborah Butterfield's bigger than life-size horses, and always found attracted to metals, especially the old rusted ones. I made a large horse (not quite life-size) with old, rusted metal scraps I found or bought at junk yards. I carefully selected each piece of metal, limiting the bending and cutting to a minimum, using what was already bend and broken just as I found it. I welded each piece, but left as much open space as possible, and without trying to give too much detail, but rather trying to catch the essence of the horse.
This was back in 1993 when I was living in Southern California. My instructor asked me if I was willing to donate it to the college for permanent display, and I happily agreed. It was displayed in the Art department garden, outdoors. I went back in 2003 to visit, and I found my horse still there standing proudly. A little more rusted, but looking good. It was a good feeling.
I just went searching and scanned some old photos I had, and although they aren't great, they give an idea of what I'm talking about. Looking at these also makes me realize that although not a work of art, I had such a great time making it! I still make small wire horse sculptures once in a while. It just goes to show you my fascination with horses, metals, art, and sculpture.
Make sure to check out my other EtsyMetal friends that are participating in this month's blog carnival:
1. Sara Westermark http://sarawestermark.blogspot.com/
2. Nina Gibson http://ninagibsondesigns.blogspot.com/
3. Danielle Miller-Gilliam http://daniellemillerjewelry.blogspot.com/
4. Beth Cyr http://bcyrjewelry.blogspot.com/
5. duckduckGoose http://duckduckgoosestuff.co.uk/duckduckBLOG
6. Caitlyn Davey http://discomedusa.typepad.com
7. Laura Crawford http://tangerinetreehouse.blogspot.com
8. Tamra Gentry http://gentrydesignco.typepad.com/
9. andes cruz - http://andescruz.wordpress.com/
10. Cynthia Del Giudice: http://cynthiadelgiudice.blogspot.com/
11. libby Rosas http://elizabethrosasjewelry.blogspot.com
12. Nina Dinoff http://ninadinoff.blogspot.com
13. Clare Stoker http://clarestoker.blogspot.com
14. kerin rose http://kerinrose.blogspot.com
15.Quercus SIlver http://quercussilver.blogspot.com
16. Delias Thompson http://deliasstudioinc.blogspot.com